Security tax refunds

Security Tax Refunds

How do I start a security worker claim?

Security workers can claim tax back on expenses from up to 4 years ago. You will need as much information as possible including receipts for fuel, overnight stays in hotels, and dry cleaning for maintaining your uniform. Claims can be if the same company still employs you, or if you have changed jobs or roles. To start a claim, we would need the following information:

  • Copies of your payslips
  • Site locations where you have worked
  • Receipts of equipment purchased for work
  • Employment contracts
  • Any other relevant information you feel may help you
Security tax refunds
Security Tax Refunds

Can security guards claim a tax refund?

Yes, security workers, including security guards and officers can claim tax refunds if they use their own or public transport for work purposes and if their employer does not reimburse them. You may also claim on your uniform, SIA licence, hotel stays and food.

What am I allowed to claim tax back on?

You can claim tax back on most work-related expenses. Below is a list of items that you can request a tax rebate on:

This list is an example of what you could claim back; there may be expenses & items specific to the job role that you could claim back.

Vehicles for work use

Fuel & Mileage costs

Travel expenses

Overnight expenses (food in certain circumstances)

Rail Tickets (single & season tickets)

Uniforms, work clothing and tools

Cleaning costs for uniforms

Professional fees, subscriptions & unions fees

What types of security workers can make a claim?

Most security worker can claim their expenses, it’s not the type of security work that they do, but what qualifies as a work expense to get to and from a job, and to get the job done. Below are some of the security industries that can make a tax rebate claim:

  • Security supervisor (to manage & control security functions & events)
  • Private officers (security workers to patrol clients’ premises & grounds)
  • Door supervisors (bouncers/doormen on pubs, clubs and bars)
  • In-house security (shopping malls, stadiums & amusement parks)

Can you claim a tax refund on security uniform costs?

Being a security worker often means you have to work in particular clothing and have specific safety gear. If you purchased the uniform yourself and pay to maintain it, you can claim a tax refund. If you are employed and your tax and national insurance contributions are paid through the PAYE system, you can claim on:

  • Uniform cleaning costs
  • Repairing work clothes
  • Replacing work clothes
  • Uniform upkeep (dry cleaning)

As a self-employed security worker, you need to register as self-employed and submit an annual self-assessment tax return. You can also claim for more than if you were in employment by a company. You can claim on your uniform, transport, business phone (landline or mobile), advertising and administrative costs. You should keep all your receipts whether it is for laundry costs or SIA license renewals.

What are the deadlines?

In the UK, the current legislation states that you can claim back up to four years when claiming a tax rebate. What this means is you could claim for the following tax periods.

  • Year ended 5th April 2020
  • Year ended 5th April 2021
  • Year ended 5th April 2022
  • Year ended 5th April 2023

Over such a long period of time wage slips and p60s can be lost or misplaced. In most cases, this is not a problem as at Vortex Accountants we can seek copies from HM Revenue & Customs on your behalf.

Excellent advice, help and guidance throughout our 10 years of being with Dan and his team. Always polite, professional and more importantly, providing us with up to date information... read more

Danniella Wiltshire Avatar Danniella Wiltshire

I've been using Vortex to handle all of my accountants for the past 3 years now, these guys really know their stuff; always happy to recommend them.

Lee Grant Avatar Lee Grant
Security Tax Refund

Are you owed tax back from HMRC?

Why wait

File your claim below

Just 30 seconds to find out whether you’re entitled to a security related tax rebate claim.

    * Upfront minimum charge of £50 + VAT, Minimum charge of 15% + VAT of any successful claim minus initial charge